John Weekend Wrap Up
Flames split weekend series
The Saint John Flames split their games on the weekend, but remain in first place in the Canadian division with a 3-1 record. Here's a brief look at this weekend's action.
Friday night was a rematch of last year's Eastern Conference final and the Flames were once again victorious, winning 5-2 over the Providence Bruins. The Flames dominated the entire game and pelted Bruins goaltender Andrew Raycroft with 54 shots. Jamie Wright scored a pair of goals, while Rob Murray, Alan Letang, and Micki Dupont added single markers. Kay Whitmore made 20 saves for his 2nd win of the season.
On Saturday night, the powerful Quebec Citadelles came to town and handed the Flames their first loss of the season. Quebec scored two early goals and rode a strong performance from goaltender Mathieu Garon to a 3-1 victory. Ryan Christie had the lone goal for the Flames, while Levente Szuper took the loss in net.
By the Numbers…
- The Flames are 2nd in the league in most shots per games (37), and fewest shots allowed per game (23.5).
- Alan Letang is 2nd among AHL defensemen with 5 points, Mike Martin is 4th with 4 points.
- Letang, Betts, and Wright are tied for the team lead with 5 points apiece.
- Dany Sabourin allowed 9 goals on Saturday night as the Johnstown Chiefs were trounced in ECHL action.
News and Notes…
- Steve Montador and Shaun Sutter made their season debuts on Friday night. Burke Henry and David Huntzicker were scratched this weekend.
- The Flames open a five game road trip this Friday with games in Quebec, Portland, and Manitoba. They will not return home until November 2nd.
- Daniel Tkaczuk has 3 points with Worcester, but is a team worst –4.
- Benoit Gratton has 4 points in 3 games with Quebec, including an assist in his return to Harbour Station on Saturday night.
- Several players with Calgary connections have ended up in the ECHL: Brent Gauvreau, Evan Lindsay, Tyrone Garner and John Tripp were all Calgary draftees; Greg Pankewicz & Scott Morrow played with Calgary, while Ryan Bast is a former Saint John star.
Aaron covers the Saint John Flames for Calgary Puck / Fire on Ice. He can be reached at email@example.com